Snow Day Breakfast


I canceled my day's appointments because it's still snowing. All night and still, more snow. What's a girl who's stuck inside to do? Work? Nah. I decided to gather up my courage and make a creamy pot of steel cut oats.
Can you believe I've never cooked steel cut oats? They're oats that have been sliced crosswise, instead of rolled flat like the more common oats we know and may love or hate. I've always loved oatmeal made of rolled oats, even when it's slimy, just not when it's thick and gooey. Steel cut oats make oatmeal completely different. For starters, the pieces of oat don't completely disappear and meld together - they stay rather individual, whole, kind of chewy. The texture is pretty good as far as breakfast cereals go.
I cooked mine in boiling liquid that was half water, half soy milk, and a pinch of salt. After 20 minutes of cooking, I spooned them into my bowl with dried cranberries and agave nectar. This is a definite breakfast grain I will be experimenting with again soon.

Steel cut oats with dried fruit (2 servings)
1 c water
1 c soy milk
1/2 c steel cut oats
pinch salt
dried cranberries
1 T agave nectar

Bring liquid to boil in small-medium saucepan. Once boiling, add oats and salt. Simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When liquid is mostly absorbed, spoon into 2 bowls. Drizzle each with agave and sprinkle cranberries on top.

Comments

Popular Posts