Super Simple Saturday Salad


Tonight I'm starting my sprouted wheat sourdough, but it won't be done until tomorrow evening. I bought wheat berries at the Union Square Green Market from Cayuga Organics. I soaked about a cup of them the night before last thinking I would cook them up for breakfast yesterday morning, but I clean forgot about them. This morning, they were already sprouting! That was fast, I know, but apparently the fresher the grain/bean/seed, the faster the sprout?
I'm really excited about the wheat berries, and you'll see a lot more spring time posts coming now that the weather's changed and the growing season will be in full bloom soon. It's super uplifting.
Anyway, while the dough for tomorrow's bread gets going, I made myself a simple, quick salad for a very *light* dinner. This isn't enough for a full meal, probably, but I'm a true snacker. I had the salad an hour ago, and moved onto cantaloupe now. Next I'll probably dip into the Ben & Jerry's hiding in the freezer. This salad was a good start. Tasty and easy.
I will say, if you don't use really really good bread and better-than-average olive oil, it won't be good. The bread can be a day or two old, but it has to have been good quality. Otherwise you'll just have vegetables in a bowl with some mediocre bread and oil. Not. Tasty. Do it this way or pay the price! That's a threat! Ha!

Simple Saturday Salad for 1
1/2 c diced red peppers
1/2 c diced cucumbers
1/2 a big, ripe tomato, cut into 1/2" cubes, salted and peppered
2 slices good bread, crusts removed, sliced into strips, and then again into cubes
1/4 c crumbled French Feta cheese (the only good kind, come on now)
healthy drizzle of good-quality olive oil (don't lie to yourself, you'll know if it's not good)
squeeze 1/2 of a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients. Don't dress until you are eating or the bread will get soggy (ew).

Comments

Popular Posts