Easy plum cake. It's pretty, just make it.

I had a moment last weekend during which I had a pang of anxiety: Oh No, I have to say goodbye to stone fruits until next year!
The thought was quite unsettling. I am not yet ready to see them go! I didn't even make stone fruit jam yet this year! Obviously not the end of the world, but I'm sure it symbolizes bigger things for me (the end of summer fun, warmth, transitioning back into doing work, being busy...). Either way, I needed to calm myself. What did I do? Along with a *so delicious* liter of cider, I purchased a pint of Italian plums from Red Jacket Orchards. (Side note: cider is so good. I think it often goes under-drunk... it's one of fall's most amazing treasures.)

With the plums, I made a quick cake.
1 1/2 c sifted whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 egg
1/4 c oil
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c milk
1/4 c plain yogurt (optional-- my batter was a bit too thick so I added this and it did the trick)
6-8 Italian plums, halved and pitted
1/2 T butter, cut into little pieces
small handful sugar

In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a glass measuring cup, mix wet ingredients plus sugar. Pour wet ingredients into dry. Stir until combined. Butter or oil a round cake pan. Pour in batter. Then place plums, skin side down, cut side up, in batter in any arrangement you think looks nice. Dot the top with butter and sugar. (This makes it have a nice crunch on top.) Bake at 375 for 30-40 min.

Comments

Popular Posts