Too many zucchini?


I have the solution. According to the calendar, summer is gone. As sad I am to see the warm weather fade, I have to admit: I'm sick of summer squash! And ready for the real thing!

So what to do with a fridge full of the vegetable I've had way too much of in the past three months? Instead of being wasteful, or feeding it to the dogs, muffins are an enjoyable and tasty way to get rid of the stuff, and fast.

I consider myself a baker, for sure, but I am also very much into holistic health, and that extends into my baking. If I can use alternative flours and sweeteners successfully, I feel as if I've completed a self-imposed challenge. And then I feel better about eating the stuff. I feel even better if I can get non-believers (those who think using alternative ingredients is a waste or purposeless) to eat the products without noticing any difference.

Anyway, tonight's recipe was definitely an achievement. Hey, I'm proud!
If you have any leftover summer squash, give these bad boys a shot. You won't be disappointed.
And if you don't have access to alternative sweeteners, using sugar, a little bit more to compensate for the less-sweet brown rice syrup, will yield very similar results.

2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c oat flour
2 t baking powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 c milk
1 egg
1/4 c oil
1/3 c brown rice syrup
3 t agave syrup
1 1/2 c grated zucchini, strained in a sieve for 20 min
  1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease 2 muffin tins (holding 12 each).
  2. Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl.
  3. Mix wet ingredients separately.
  4. Add wet to dry, stir until just incorporated. Then add zucchini.
  5. Pour batter into muffin tins; bake 20 min.
  6. Let cool in tins for 5-10 min, then cool on rack.

Comments

Popular Posts