Look, there's just nothing like really good food. I'm not talking gourmet. I'm talking about how to put together a simple dish, with simple ingredients, and if they're seasonal, well then it's all that much better.

I'm temporarily supposed to be on a high potassium diet. What foods have potassium in them? Well, bananas (fortunately bananas and I are old friends who never get sick of each other), sweet potatoes, raisins, and a whole bunch of other things. But when I heard sweet potatoes are a good source of the potassium, I got excited. I got this idea in my head to make a simple seasonal dish: sweet potato/black bean/cotija tacos, with additional ingredients as garnishes, but no radical spices. This simple dish is about the vegetables that I have not celebrated enough yet this fall.

You can add and subtract components as you wish, but my final version of the fall constructed taco was perfect, in my opinion.

Here's the simple deal to simple good food, fall taco style:

What you need:
Corn tortillas
2 sweet potatoes, chopped
sweet dumpling squash, halved and seeded
cooked black beans (or canned)
1/2 an onion, cut into strips
1/2 a poblano pepper, seeds in for heat
a few leaves of swiss chard, steamed or sauteed
1-2 T cotija cheese (or feta if you can't find this)

In an oven preheated to 400, on an olive oiled baking sheet, spread potatoes in one layer and half or all of the squash (depending on your appetite) next to the potatoes. Bake at 400 for 20-30 min, until each the potatoes and squash are tender when pierced with a fork.
Meanwhile, saute onion and pepper in a small skillet with olive oil.
Warm tortillas, layer cooked potatoes, pieces of squash (skin removed), black beans, onions, peppers, chard, and cheese on top. Eat with a fork, if you are inept at eating tacos as I sometimes am, or pick it up and get messy! Go for it! You won't be disappointed.

Comments

  1. i forgot to tell you that coconut water is both high in potassium and great for hangovers. hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts