Meg Cooks Old Skool

This is rare for me- a double post. Two posts in one day. Wow.

But after what I made for dinner, I think the blogosphere deserves to know how I used to cook, back before I became a food snob. On nights like tonight, when I don't really have much in the fridge and I'm alone and not quite in the mood to cook up a storm, I used to make this dish. It's sort of a mix between fried rice and an omelet and a casserole.

I used to make it in the oven, casserole style, but tonight it was on the stove. The ingredients are simple: cooked brown rice, kale (any kind), low-sodium soy sauce, and egg. I used to combine all the ingredients, then sprinkle in some shredded cheddar cheese, and bake in an oven at 375 for about 20 minutes. It was pretty good.

But you could also make it without the cheese, as I did tonight, and serve it in a bowl with some sri racha hot sauce. This dish (kale surprise?) is a wonderful use of leftovers, a great source of iron and protein, and is delicious. Hope you can learn to love it as much as I have.

Ingredients:
1 c cooked organic brown rice
5 or 6 leaves organic kale, roughly chopped
1-2 T soy sauce (I prefer low-sodium)
1 organic egg, beaten with 1 T water and pinch sugar or agave (optional)
1/2 T Sri Racha hot sauce

On medium heat, add a minimal amount of vegetable oil to a skillet. Throw in your rice, shaking pan occasionally, letting rice get hot but not burnt. After ~5 min, add kale and soy sauce. Cover pan so kale can steam. When kale is bright green, it is about ready. Dump rice mixture in a bowl, wipe out pan. Lightly oil skillet again, and add egg beaten with water and sweetener, if using. When egg starts to set, add rice mixture, and stir. When egg is cooked, dish is done. Dump into a bowl, add Sri Racha to your liking.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts