Pumpkin Brown Rice Pudding


Tonight, I had a regular Shabbat meal with my family and some of their friends. Translation: a whole lotta food. Sadly, I didn't help out too much with the main meal, but I did contribute a side dish and a delicious dessert.

I figured since it is fall (though I'd think it's winter with it snowing in the mornings) I'd make a fall dessert. I've always loved rice pudding, and most custards, for that matter. But rice pudding has always taken the cake. It's been my favorite since I don't know when, but it's an ultimate comfort food for me.

I decided to experiment with a pumpkin flavored brown rice pudding, which worked out wonderfully considering my overload of leftover cooked brown rice in the fridge. Fortunately the experiment was a total success, with the dinner guests serving themselves 3+ helpings. I plan on having some with milk for breakfast tomorrow.
Pumpkin Brown Rice Pudding

1 12 oz can organic pumpkin puree
3/4 c sugar
1.5 c unsweetened, unflavored soy milk (optional; you can also use all whole milk)
2 c whole milk
2 eggs
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground ginger
1 t vanilla

3 c cooked brown rice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix pumpkin and sugar with a whisk. Add milks and two eggs; continue to beat with whisk. Add spices and vanilla, mix until completely blended. Add the rice, and mix with a wooden spoon.
Pour mixture into a large casserole dish (it is also possible to pour into individual ramekins).
Place in oven and bake for close to one hour on 375, or until set.

I was shocked the dish turned out so well, but it was really really good! The dinner guests and my parents were all really into it, and I encourage you to try it some time. The pumpkin definitely made it a good "autumn" dish. I will definitely make it again some time.

Comments

  1. Heyo,

    So it's winterberry season out here in the country. Have you ever heard of winterberries being edible? They'd make such a pretty pie. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are winterberries? I will research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Winterberries were used medicinally by native americans, and probably could be used by unnative americans, too, but I'm not sure how.
    They called it Fever Bush...
    Fever bush pie anyone?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts