Potato-Kale-Acorn Squash Gratin


For my last birthday, I was lucky enough to be given the item at the top of my kitchen-tool wishlist: a mandolin. I wanted a mandolin for so long, but now that I've had one for the past two and a half months, I've sadly done too little with it.

Fortunately, tonight I was able to put it to great use. This week's organic CSA goodies included lots of yellow-fleshed potatoes and kale, among other things. In past weeks, I also received some winter squashes, which have been piling up in the pantry. Tonight I sliced potatoes and one acorn squash as thinly as possible, and layered the slices, along with kale, in a greased square pyrex dish. I then poured in some melted butter and milk, grated some manchego cheese on top, and popped the dish in the oven for 40 minutes on 375 degrees.

When the dish was almost done, I soft boiled two organic eggs, which I cut open atop a serving of my delicious gratin.
This dinner is simple and very tasty.
The sweetness of the squash, plus the slightly-rich potatoes and earthy kale combine beautifully. The soft boiled egg, seasoned generously with salt and pepper, only adds to the amazing boldness of flavors.

Party in my mouth!

Comments

Popular Posts