My First August Post (Sorry.)


I have been on a terrific carefree vacation for the past two months. Forgive me for not having written. It is not for lack of having been cooking, constantly. The recipe I will share today is more a revelation than a recipe, for me. An opening of doors and windows, if you will.

I have been striving to find a decent fish market. One that's as good as its yelp reviews say it is. I finally found it. Tokyo Fish Market was a little bit out of my way, but I suddenly got an urge to grill tuna the other day. It may have something to do with my recent purchase of Ann Worthington's New California Cook, maybe not. Either way, last week, I found myself craving tuna. I did not want canned tuna or cooked tuna. I do not know how else to describe this but I simply had a feeling inside that told me I had to go out, buy the fish, and sear it over hot coals. And then serve it over a green salad. Something inside was kicking me to the fish market, making me buy the freakin tuna, and grill it. It was like one of those times when I just was not even thinking- I was being driven by something deep down. Driven to cook, and driven to cook this, specifically.

The man at the market suggested using the albacore. Not only was it cheaper but he said they suggest if it's going to touch flame at all, they recommend it over the ahi. Alright, 3/4 lb taken home. Ann Worthington suggests a marinade of acid and oil for over 30 min, under 1 hr, then grilling over medium-hot coals. Next time I will marinade for less than 30 min, as it was not as pink in the middle as I would have liked. However, the fish was delish! And my eight dinner guests could not agree more.

Grilled Albacore over Market Greens
Marinade:
Juice of 2 lemons+zest of one, grated.
1/4 c olive oil
pinch ancho chile powder (or to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

3/4 lb albacore (or other tuna)
more pepper, to taste

1/2 lb mixed baby greens (ours were from Happy Boy Farms, nastursiums and all)
1/3 c mandolined radishes (or sliced very thinly)
1/2 English hothouse cucumber, mandolined or sliced very thinly

emulsion-less vinagrette (there's no whisk here!):
1 shallot, finely chopped
dollop dijon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
juice from half a lemon
2-3 T olive oil

1. Prepare marinade for the fish, vinagrette for salad. Set aside. Light coals.
2. When coals are about 20 minutes from being ready to cook on, add fish to marinade.
3. Grill fish, about 2-3 min on each side. Remove and let rest. Do NOT cut it open yet.
4. Prepare green salad, then slice cooked fish. Toss salad in dressing, then add fish on top.
GOBBLE IT UP!

I've got to say, I'd always been a bit afraid of cooking fish, but after this experience, there will be much more adventurous fish cooking to come!

Comments

Popular Posts