Warm roasted salad

Tonight's dinner will make enough for two, or enough for one and lunch the next day (which was obviously my master plan).
My new boss gave me one of his last buttercup squashes on Saturday because I told him I didn't think I had ever had one. My favorite winter squashes had been his Marina di Chioggia, an heirloom dark green, gnarly pumpkin, the delightful delicata, and of course, butternut. But I am so happy that I was given this prized small green winter variety, the buttercup. I was planning on just slicing crosswise and roasting, cut-side down on 400, but I had this idea gnawing at me and I just couldn't ignore it. The idea said: salad, salad, salad...chickpeas, chickpeas, chickpeas...warm, warm, warm. I followed the impulse and ended up with a very tasty roasted buttercup squash chickpea salad with wilted kale and mustard greens.
I ate it without grains, but cooked some oat groats in vegetable stock to bring with the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
I promise this recipe is simple. And if you end up thinking it's complicated, please please leave a comment and I will address your needs! I want seasonal simple food to be accessible and if it is not, I'm not doing it right! Tell me what you think.

1 buttercup squash (or a small butternut), peeled and cubed into 1" cubes
1 small onion, rough chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t tumeric
1 t cumin
1 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas (or from a can)

In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake on 400 for 30 minutes, checking once or twice and stirring ingredients with a spatula.

Greens
Chop a large handful of hearty winter greens. I used kale and mustard greens. Place in a skillet on medium high heat with a few tablespoons of water. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, until greens are just wilted.

I apologize that my camera is on Long Island, without me. I know everyone likes pictures but I urge you to try this one even though I have none. It is so. good.

Comments

Popular Posts