Bread Pudding

What do you do with a half loaf of a HUGE homemade challah you froze several months ago then defrosted because you thought you'd eat it and then let it sit in the fridge for two and a half weeks, untouched?
I'll answer my own question. You bake Nutella Bread Pudding! That's what you do!
Tonight, when I got home from school and a no-show in the clinic, it was late. 8:30 already. I had a quick dinner with a new protein I hope to not try again (a very salty new kind of sausage at the coop that I thought maybe looked good?), and I whipped up the leftover milk in the fridge with eggs and flavors that smelled good.
Hopefully I don't make a habit of not eating homemade bread. But in the case that I do, bread pudding is a Terrific way to not waste food! And if it was Sunday morning instead of a Tuesday evening on which I had a hankering for sweets, I could have made a strata instead. A savory bread pudding custardy thing. With like, vegetables, or something.
...the leftover bread possibilities are endless. Waste Not!

Nutella Bread Pudding
5 c torn up pieces of challah
1 3/4 c milk (any kind)
4 eggs
1/2 c sugar
1 t cinnamon
10 rasps nutmeg
2 t vanilla
2 T nutella

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a loaf pan. Fill a large bowl with torn bread. In another bowl, beat all ingredients except nutella. Pour over the bread and push down to cover. Pour about 1/3 into prepared pan, and then try to spread 1 T nutella over this layer. Then pour another 1/3 of bread mixture on top, and spread another 1 T nutella over. Pour remaining bread mixture into pan. Spread/push down with spatula. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool in pan about 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.

Comments

Popular Posts