Chili Lime Chicken Soup

Man, I feel like I haven't posted forever! And I am sorry. My routine had taken over, I guess. And I cooked less in the past two weeks than I would have liked to. But oh, the agony, of leaving the house at 7 in the morning and not returning until 8 or 8:30. Oy.

Today I was recuperating from a terrible head cold. But by 5:30, I was going stir crazy! I had to leave the house. I had to feel fresh air on my face! I caught a ride to the coop with little more on my list than oranges and Emergen-C. And somehow (of course), I ended up buying more, spending $35 instead of perhaps $15. But it was because when I was there, as I slowly walked through the produce section, I became inspired by some fresh baby ginger and lemon grass. I grabbed some limes from a box and a couple pounds of potatoes. (And irresistible looking spicy marcona almonds, and chocolate covered raisins, and dried mango...)

Once home, I promptly got to business, without even fully having unpacked my bag. And soon, there was a pot of almost-done chili lime chicken soup on the stove! When Mr. Ripe came home, he served each of us a bowl of the soup, topped off with fresh lime juice. After his first few bites, with delight, he asked me where the recipe was from. I want to share with you readers that I was flattered! No recipe. I urge you to change and increase this and take out that and add some more of whatever to this recipe- make it yours! Mmm!

Chili-lime Soup
*excellent for speedy cold recovery*

2 T olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 potatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 1/2" piece of ginger, minced
2" piece of lemongrass, minced
3/4 c red lentils
3/4 c short grain brown rice
1 whole dried chili
6 c chicken stock
4 c water
half a head of napa cabbage, thinly sliced crosswise
salt and pepper to taste
fresh lime juice
sriracha

In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add ingredients on list through the rice. Saute 5 minutes. Add the chili, stock, water, cabbage, and salt and pepper, stir, turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Serve and add lime juice and/or sriracha to individual bowls.

Comments

Popular Posts