Cleaning out the fridge

I had to empty out the fridge today. I am leaving for a week-long vacation to the Bay Area on Tuesday, and I realized I had a bunch of perishables in there. Last night I made the biggest salad ever to dispose of my vegetables. And this morning I saved the milk from its would-be obligatory welcome home after being gone for a while, having spoiled.
Typically when I have an excess of milk, I think: Pudding.
Actually, I usually think: Rice Pudding.
But I strangely had no more brown rice. I finished it and forgot to get more this week. I did, however, have couscous!
So I made a couscous custard, with the lone left banana and vanilla. Damn, I love custards! I am such a custard girl. If you ever want to please me, present me with custard. Any temperature will do, but warm is best.

Banana Couscous Custard
3 c milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 banana, cut into small pieces
1 T vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
3/4 c sugar
1 1/2 c whole wheat (or regular) couscous

In a big saucepan, heat milk, banana, vanilla, and cinnamon stick on low. Whisk occasionally. While milk heats, whisk 1/2 c sugar into the egg yolks in a medium bowl. When milk begins to simmer, temper the egg mixture by adding a ladle full of milk into the bowl and whisking. Add the egg mixture into the milk pot and whisk until well incorporated. Add remaining sugar, and whisk. Finally, add couscous, and stir a few times, with the custard still simmering. Turn off heat, pour into a big bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and put in the fridge to set, about 1 hour if you are impatient, or longer if you can wait, unlike me. Remove cinnamon stick. Serve in bowls just so, or underneath fresh fruit.

Comments

Popular Posts