I'm back. Full force.

This summer I was a bit distracted. You'd think I'd have posted a whole bunch, since it was the first summer in I don't know how long that I didn't have any job, school, or other obligations (at least not for the month of August). It's not that I wasn't creating. I most definitely was; in the weeks to come you'll find super easy pepper-egg tagliatelle, stuffed peppers, and more mostly vegetarian recipes, pictures, and tales. But for now, you'll just have to bear with me as I give you words and not photos. My camera is overseas, touring Western Europe without me with a particularly talented musician who lost his battery charger. So it is.

I don't know if you've ever felt like you've taken your health for granted. Sure, I might have said once or twice in my life, I'm thankful for my health. But did I really mean it? Did I still carelessly chow down on unhealthy food, make bad decisions, and stop exercising for months at a time? I did. Sometimes it takes a bit of a health scare to get your butt in gear. At least that's what's currently happening to me.

In the next few weeks and months I'm hoping to bring a slightly more rigid healthful bend to the blog, due to my revisiting the issue of not taking health for granted. This time I mean it. Let's see how long it lasts.

So, in honor of less-processed, organic-when-possible, healthy in the moment food, I give you warm balsamic wheat berry salad for one.

1/2 T butter or olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1 portabello mushroom, cut into small cubes
1 handful green, purple, or yellow beans, diced into 1/2" pieces
1/2 sweet green pepper, diced small
1 T  balsamic vinegar
pinch herbs de provence or italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 c cooked wheat berries*
goat cheese

In a medium to large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add mushroom and cook 5-7 min, until cooked down. Throw in beans and peppers. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Pour in vinegar and stir, allowing to simmer a bit. Add herbs, salt and pepper, and wheat berries. Cook until wheat berries are heated through. Serve like this, or with a teaspoon of delicious goat cheese.

*Wheat berries are an awesome grain, but they take a while to cook. Soak 8 hours or overnight before the day you plan to cook them. Then cook in stock or lightly salted water for 30-40 min or until they feel sort of bouncy but soft to the teeth.

Comments

Popular Posts