I'm sorry, I've slowed, again.
You know, stress, lots to do, it's all gotten in the way of writing. And this time, I haven't even really been cooking much. Usually when I am absent from blogging, I'm at least cooking and baking and just not writing. This time, I honestly have not been so active in the kitchen.
But this week, I reemerged.
On Monday, I canned 20# of tomatoes. Tonight, I used the remaining few peeled plum tomatoes that did not fit into the 9 quart jars I owned.
I bought a bottle of wine on my way home, and opened it just after my prep work was done.
Smashed and diced garlic cloves, chopped, peeled tomatoes, spices, and baby lima beans. Definitely not a meal to make in a rush - those unsoaked beans take about 2 hours to become tender. Oh, I also got to put my Le Creuset tagine to use, something that rarely comes out of its bottom cupboard.

Once finished, this made a lovely ragout to top pan-fried polenta.
Here's the recipe:

1 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic
10 peeled, chopped plum tomatoes (blanching them first makes taking the skins off easier, or use a can) and their juice
3/4 c dried baby lima beans
2 1/2 c broth or water
2 t smoked paprika
2 t crushed red pepper
2 t salt, or more to taste

Saute garlic in olive oil over low-medium heat in a cast iron tagine or dutch oven or cast iron pan or oven-proof, stove-proof dish. When fragrant, add the rest of the ingredients. Stir, cover, and stick in the oven on 350 for about two hours, or until beans are tender.

Eat alone or over polenta with feta. Yum.

Comments

Popular Posts