Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

Remember that post I wrote over the summer about growing up not liking peanut butter except for in my pb&j, and then one day having a craving for sweet, creamy, peanut butter in dessert-like fashion? Well that love of sweet things with peanut butter has waxed and waned since I first made peanut butter gelato, and then it was dormant. Until today, this afternoon.
I decided to decrease the amount of sweets I eat per week. I could never quit cold turkey, but I just think I need to be a bit more conscious of what I'm eating. So I'm going to try this new policy of eating sweets and buttery treats only on Sunday evenings, unless I'm invited out and force-fed something like apple pie or birthday cake.
In preparation for the first sweet Sunday, I thought I should choose a really good snack. What would be good enough for the once a week sweet? I decided on Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies, made the chewy way! I guess that peanut butter craving is back.

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Inspired by Fine Cooking, Martha, and my own stubbornness and refusal to follow anyone's recipe
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1-2 oz semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 c flour
2 T cocoa

Prehead oven to 350. Line 8x8 pan with parchment paper and grease well with butter. In microwave safe bowl and in the microwave on high for 2 min, or over pot of simmering water, double boiler style, melt butter and chocolate together, stirring occasionally (once every 30 seconds?).  Mix in sugar, eggs one at a time, and then salt and vanilla. Once combined, add flour and cocoa. Batter will be thick. Spread half of the batter into the pan. Dot peanut butter mixture (recipe below) over layer of brownie dough. Dump and spread the rest of the brownie batter on top, and then dot the top with peanut butter mixture again. Starting at one end, plunge butter knife into the pan and drag it around, swirling the peanut butter into the brownie pan. Bake at 350 for 25-35 min, or until toothpick comes out slightly gooey. Don't overbake!

Peanut Butter Swirl
1/2 c soft peanut butter - does not have to be creamy or fake (like Jif or Skippy) - can be any smooth kind
2 T softened butter
1/2 c confectioners sugar

In food processor, blend ingredients. Taste. Add sugar if necessary. If too thick, add more softened butter and process further.

Comments

Popular Posts