Weeknight polenta

Even when I'm too busy (notice how posts stop just as internship interviews start!!!), I find myself in the kitchen. I come home, hungry or not, and even though I'm exhausted, I need to cook something. I have this mental block that keeps me resisting take out, even when I have the cash for it, and it's late, and I'm in need of nourishment. It is irrational. I know. I don't need to be told. I just can't help it!

Also, since Mr. Ripe has my camera while he's off traveling the world, and I am once again cameraless, making me a bit embarrassed to post what has been turned out of my kitchen. But I finally cracked, feeling bad about neglecting the blog, which is supposed to offer me some sort of balance or comfort while I hit the grindstone in the psych world.

Two nights ago I thought I was cooking for two. It was a good thing my guest was too tired to show, because it turned out this polenta recipe was so creamy, so just what I needed when I was cooking too late at night, that there would not have been enough for what I wanted to eat and an extra for said friend to have a meal, too.

That said, this recipe makes enough for one very hungry person and half of a regular person, or two smallish appetite people. If you need more, double or triple it. As for what to eat it with, I topped mine with Russian Kale and button mushrooms sauteed in oil with garlic and red chili flakes, with a squeeze of lemon. Then I placed a perfectly soft boiled egg on it all, broke it open, and dug in.

Creamy Polenta Recipe
1 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t crushed red pepper
3/4 c water
3/4 c milk
1 t salt
black pepper
1/2 c cornmeal

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and crushed red pepper. When fragrant but not brown, add liquids. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Whisk in cornmeal. When no lumps exist, switch to a wooden spoon, and stir occasionally, until polenta becomes thicker, or for 15-20 minutes. Top with your favorite veggies or even just tomato sauce. And soft cooked eggs make everything better...

Comments

Popular Posts