Summer Grain Salad

I'm on a real summer vacation. I have few obligations and the job I have lined up does not start until September. I didn't realize two things until I started to have all of this down time: that I was extremely busy until the end of June and that while I had been cooking and baking, I had been both doing it and enjoying it a lot less. That said, I've been cooking and baking almost every day. And this isn't a result of a conscious decision to do it more - I have just been drawn to it more. I find myself back in the swing of thinking about what to make for lunch or dinner, or what gelato to have ready for dessert.

Today I made what is a take on a grain salad I used to be a little obsessed with. When I first came across it in Diane Worthington's The New California Cook, I knew we were meant to be together (that is - me and the salad, specifically). Over the years, I've made it numerous times, always veering a little from the recipe Worthington provides. Today I made it with Freekah, which usually refers to roasted green (young) wheat berries, however my Freekah is made of spelt. I like Freekah because I think the roastedness makes it a bit smokey. Its deep, earthy flavor is the perfect base for a grain salad dressed with a lemony vinaigrette.

Freekah Salad
1 c freekah
2 c water
pinch salt
2 T scallions, diced
2 T parsley, chopped
2 T cilantro, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 kirby cucumber, diced
1 bell or other sweet pepper, diced
handful green beans, chopped into 1" lengths
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c pumpkin seeds
1/3 lb feta or goat cheese, or a mix
1/2 c any vinaigrette, but my recipe - whisk together the following:
2 T red wine vinegar
3 T apple cider vinager
juice of half 1 lemon
1 t dijon mustard
pinch salt, pepper
2 T minced shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T fresh herbs
1/2 c olive oil

Cook the freekah in the water with pinch of salt- simmer about 20 min. Water should be absorbed by then but if it's not, and the grain is done, just drain it. Let cool 10 min. Mix with the rest of the ingredients, toss cheese and vinaigrette in at end. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 4-6.

Comments

Popular Posts