If I had a restaurant this would be on the menu


I mean, because obviously if I had a restaurant we would serve brunch. It might just be a brunch restaurant (which is the evolved concept of the "foods I like" restaurant). Whether it is a brunch only restaurant or a restaurant that happens to serve brunch (and it would be on Saturdays and Sundays till 3, and maybe one extra day, just for those with alternative lifestyles who have Wednesdays off or Fridays or something like that...)

Well, if I did have that restaurant, we would definitely serve this. I never thought sweet potatoes were a favorite food. I know they're better for you than potatoes with white flesh, but I don't know, I just always associated yukon golds or other white/yellow potatoes with brunch. Or deliciousness. I admit it: I was wrong. Sweet potatoes or yams can offer as much or more yumminess than others. I found this out making pierogi filling for empanadas. You read that right. I wanted pierogi filling but empanada on the outside (it came out great, I'll post that recipe later). I ended up having maybe triple the amount of filling I needed for the dough recipe I made. So tonight, I had breakfast for dinner.

Sweet potato pierogi filling from the ReBar restaurant cookbook smashed down with a spatula in a buttered pan. With a poached egg on top. And some mushrooms and tomatoes on the side. If you don't believe that it is absolutely amazing, you must try it. Now.

Sweet potato pierogi hash
2.5 pounds sweet potatoes, roasted whole, with skins on until flesh is soft, then peeled
1 T butter
1 leeks, chopped
1/4 lb smoked gouda, grated
big pinch caraway seeds
salt and pepper to taste

Mash the sweet potatoes. Set aside. Saute leeks in butter until translucent. Add to potatoes. Add rest of ingredients and mix up. (You can use this as pierogi filling or empanada filling or ravioli filling or -) With spatula, smash about 1/2 c potato mixture into a buttered skillet. Cook on medium heat without flipping over for 3-4 minutes. Then flip and brown the other side.


Serve with eggs or just eat alone.

Comments

Popular Posts