I eat hippie food.


Well duh, I mean, for those of you who know me, or who have eaten a meal I've cooked, you know that I at least Make Hippie Food. I also eat it. Tonight was no exception. It was sort of a double-decker quesadilla type thing with sliced kabocha squash in between the layers. I am starting to love kabochas, and I'm not sure why I never really made them before, but the most awesome thing about them is you can eat the skin. Bye bye peeling squash.

Serve with red cabbage/apple slaw.

For the slaw:
1/4 red cabbage, shredded
1/2 c crisp tart apple, shredded
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 t honey

Mix ingredients and let sit a good 10 min. Done.

For the kabocha squash tortilla melt:
1 kabocha squash, seeded and sliced into 1/2" slices
3 tortillas
3/4 c cheddar, jack, or feta (I used cheddar and feta)

On a slip of parchment paper, or on an oiled cookie sheet, roast kabocha slices at 400 for 10 min on each side. Done when easily pierced with a fork. In an 8x8 baking dish, place first tortilla. Place one layer of squash slices on top, and then sprinkle with about 1/3 of the cheese. Place next tortilla on top, and then the rest of the kabocha slices, and then more cheese. Place final tortilla on top, top with remaining cheese. Cover with foil or lid and bake 15 min at 350. Uncover and bake another 10 min, or until brown on top.

Comments

Popular Posts