Chowda!

First I want to thank my friends at the Grand Army Green Market without whom tonight's blog post would be impossible. I also want to thank Mr. Ripe who agreed to visit the market on his way home and procure the precious fishies who lost their lives for the sake of culinary experimentation. I am a big fan of chowders, corn and New England clam being my favorite varieties. And even though I think bacon adds that extra specialness, I've always been a bit bashful about admitting I love bacon (too cliche? too sacrilege?) and even moreso about frying it up myself. Tonight I took the plunge and dabbled in the arts of fish chowder, with porgy filets from the Grand Army market. And bacon.

Porgy Chowder

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 T butter
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
4 celery sticks, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 lb yukon gold potatoes, chopped
3 c water
3 c vegetable, fish, or chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 lb porgy fillets, small bones removed
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c to 1 1/2 c half and half, milk, or cream (all optional)

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, fry bacon until just brown. Remove to paper towels. Add butter to pot and saute onions and other vegetables 5-10 min. Add liquid and bay leaves. Bring to boil and cook 10 min, or until potatoes are soft. Add bacon back to pot along with fish fillets and cook 6-8 min, or until fish easily falls apart. Season with salt and pepper and add dairy, if using.

Comments

Popular Posts