Pesto that tastes like Plants (in the best way possible)

I guess I have Mr. Ripe to thank for getting my into liking pesto. My previous meh attitude toward the typically basil paste stemmed from my opinion that basil isn't the best herb in the world (I'm sorry, it's just not my absolute favorite!) and the fact that I hate cleaning the food processor. This second fact alone keeps me from making many foods I feel only mediocre about. Like hummus. That's Mr. Ripe's territory, too.

But the recent influx of fresh green vegetables in my kitchen due to our new CSA has pushed me to change my attitude. I need to be more creative with my preparations of these greens, or else it gets boring and I start to feel like I'm drowning in them!

This week's shell peas were a little starchier than last. I steamed them with delicate leaves of lacinato kale and added them to the food processor where blanched almonds and garlic were already ground with salt, lemon juice, and olive oil. Pesto that tastes like plants. In the best way possible. I ate mine over spelt berries, but it would be great on pasta, for dinner, or crostini, as an app.

Green Vegetable Pesto
1/4 c blanched almonds
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 t salt
1/3 c olive oil
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 c shelled peas (fresh is best but frozen will do)
1 bunch kale, washed and roughly chopped
ground black pepper


Grind almonds, garlic, salt, 1/4 c olive oil, and lemon juice in food processor. Add green vegetables and turn processor back on, slowly pouring in remaining olive oil while machine is running. Add salt and pepper, or more lemon juice, to your liking.


Comments

Popular Posts