Amarula Rice Pudding

Let me begin by saying I know I already have a rice pudding in here. But allow me to explain. I have a mean addiction to custards. I do not know why, exactly. In fact, I really do not like eating rich foods, and most of my cooking is not rich.
However, I just adore custards, hot or cold, you name it. Flan, creme brulee, panna cotta, rice pudding, seviya kheer, frozen yogurt outta a machine, coney island custard... the list goes on and on.
The truth is, it doesn't even need to be sweet, although that helps (I have a real sweet tooth).
I like the creamy texture, I think. Like cream of wheat. Or cream of rice. I know, this probably sounds so gross, but I love custards and things that are smooth in my mouth.
Anyway, so growing up, I always loved rice pudding, and I still love rice pudding. This one takes a few hours to bake, because there are no thickening agents added (so I guess that makes it not a real custard? no eggs?). Also, I made it with milk, cream, and Amarula. Amarula is a liquor from South Africa that's made from the Amarula fruit and is quite sweet and creamy. It's sort of like a Bailey's type beverage. People drink it on the rocks, usually, and it's really like drinking alcoholic ice cream. Melted. I thought I'd experiment with Amarula because I didn't have enough cream to my liking, and the Amarula is RICH RICH RICH!
Although I had my doubts about the actual thickening of this pudding, it actually came out quite well--creamy, rich, and sweet! Just as I like it.

Amarula Rice Pudding

4 c cooked white or brown rice, preferably short-grain
2 1/2 c organic milk
1/2 c organic cream
1/2 c Amarula liquor (optional-- you can also just double the cream, instead)
3/4 c sugar
2 t cinnamon
1 T vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into either individual ramekins or large baking dish or BOTH! Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, then 250 for 1 hour, and then turn the oven off and leave for 2 hours.
Yum.

Comments

Popular Posts