How Embarassing!

Lo siento, readers.
I am amidst lots of school work and have not been able to update the blog! This is not to say I haven't been cooking (oh, I have), but I've just not had the time to write about it!
I thought I should make a point of writing something, but it's just a quicky, so don't get too upset.
When I got home from the library today, it was about 7 pm. There were no ready-mades in the fridge, so I whipped up a sort-of-quick eggplant parm, baked, not fried.
Below is the recipe. I do plan on doing some baking this weekend (you know I just can't resist procrastination via baking when I have papers to write), so check back in a few!

This eggplant parm is great, because it's made with homemade, whole wheat bread crumbs, part-skim mozzarella, and my favorite toy! That's right! The French mandolin! Just a quick eggplant-buying tip, in case you are interested, because I sure know that I don't know everything about buying fruits and veggies. When buying eggplants, you want to buy a blemish-free, heavier-feeling one for best results.
Eggplants have a lot of moisture, which can make cooking time lengthy. So to draw out the moisture, and to get rid of some of the bitterness an eggplant can have, you can salt the sliced eggplant with kosher salt, and place in in a colander. After sitting aside for even 10 minutes, wipe off and dry the slices- you'll feel and see how much moisture has been released.

Baked Eggplant Parm (with pasta)

1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4" thin, salted, and wiped clean after about 10 min (as described above)
1 organic egg, beaten with some (1/4 c?) milk
4 pieces old, stale whole wheat bread (OR toasted dry and cooled down slices of bread)
4-8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (however much you'd like is fine)
1 c leftover or- GASP- JARRED tomato sauce (you can make fresh but I was going for quick)
your favorite pasta, cooked
1-2 olive-oil-greased baking sheets

1. Preheat oven to 375. Put old bread in blender and process until fine crumbs. Dump into a shallow bowl.
2. Coat each eggplant slice with egg, and drag through bread crumbs, shaking off extra crumbs.
3. Place breaded eggplant in greased pan. Spoon a bit of tomato sauce over each piece of eggplant, and sprinkle on some cheese, too.
4. Put sheets in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Serve over your favorite cooked pasta (I picked fettucini). DEVOUR!

Comments

Popular Posts