ANCHOVIES? EW!

Truly, when I think of anchovies, my mouth fills with a gross overpowering feeling. I can almost taste my idea of anchovies. My sickeningly salty idea taste idea anchovies does not represent the real taste of real anchovies. Especially not in this dish.
This is a quick vegetarian-ish dinner (ish because are tiny little anchovies really not vegetarian? okay fine maybe not, but vegetarians, I tell ya, they're great). My mother makes it a lot, and I always thought it was to poison us with anchovies. Actually, I loved the dish until I found out it had anchovies in it, then distanced myself from it, and then to it I returned. It turns out, not only is this delicious, but it is so quick and easy to make. Look at that, Mom wasn't trying to force feed us tiny fish; she was saving herself from making a hassle of a dinner! Honestly, I do not have much experience with anchovies, but I write about them in such a way here today because I feel I need to urge my readers to give anchovies a first, second, or third chance. The way they are cooked in this dish allows you to notice their flavor, but subtly. It is not the stinky anchovy taste I experienced with my first anchovy pizza pie. So I say, give it a try, why don't you!?

Cauliflower Anchovy Spaghetti
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti (or linguini)
1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces and steamed
4 anchovy filets, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t crushed red pepper
2 T extra virgin olive oil

Boil water and cook your pasta while you prepare the cauliflower as directed below.
In a cast iron skillet, place olive oil, garlic, pepper, and anchovies.
Cook on low heat, careful not to burn your garlic.
Add the cauliflower and sautee a bit (5 min or so) on medium heat.
When cauliflower tastes done, and pasta is cooked and strained, dump the cauliflower on top of the pasta and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts