I don't want to do work. I just want elaborate eggs.


If you read regularly, you know, because I've mentioned it at least a few times, that my favorite form of procrastination is COOKING!! I have a paper due on Wednesday for my cognitive and affective bases of behavior class. I even picked a topic I find interesting; a topic I am personally invested in: determinants of health behavior. I can even apply my thesis to my actions now, writing this blog post. Assume that writing my paper is good for my health. By writing this post, and by cooking virtually all day, I am acting against my own self-interest, because procrastination feels good for the moment. I am letting affect, emotion, influence my cogntive decision making. This acting against my best interests does not mean that I am not using cognition. It just means that my values have changed, for the moment. Right now, procrastinating is being placed at a subjectively higher value than my long term goal of finishing the paper. That does not mean I'm not using cognition, active thought, to make the decision. Cognition does not have to be rational. Alas, I made elaborate eggs instead of writing this morning. I will probably do something else unnecessarily elaborate tomorrow morning.

Elaborate Eggs, for One

2 organic eggs
3 stalks asparagus, cut on the bias (for texture), blanched till just done
3 cooked potatoes, under the broiler
yummy salsa, to taste
vinegar- just a touch- for the poach

I am writing this post assuming you know how to poach eggs. I realize I should explain, just in case. Have a slow boil of water mixed with a tablespoon or two of vinegar in a small saucepan. Crack an egg into a small cup. Hold the small cup with the egg in it just over the surface of the water. Bring cup as close to the water as possible, and then, in one steady movement, pour the egg right into the water. Repeat with as many eggs as you have, one at a time. If you add too many eggs to the water, one concern is that you will forget which went in first, and overcook it. A more practical concern is you will lower the temperature of the water too much, cooling it down and affecting the cooking time. Both are unfavorable things to happen. I usually do only about four eggs at once or, in a large pot, more. An egg is ready when, with a slotted spoon, you lift it out of the water and, with your finger, gently push on the yolk. It should feel undone, but the whites should be firm. Dry off the extra water, if you don't want the egg dish to get watery. If not, just eat!

Ok: back to elaborate eggs. Layer your broiled sliced potatoes on a plate. Pile your texture-enhancing-cut of asparagus on top. Then plop your perfectly poached egg on top. Season with salt and pepper (a must for poached eggs). Dab some salsa on top, for looks and taste, and eat! YUM!

Comments

Popular Posts