Rosh Hashana Post

Today is Rosh Hashana- Jewish new year.

Super observant Jews wouldn't write a blog post on this day- they observe this holiday as they do shabbat and other holy days; that is, no writing, no computers, no tv, no turning lights on...

I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I am not a "religious" person. It took me a while, but I'm currently here. That is not to say I am not spiritual, and it is also not to say that I am not happily Jewish. I love spending time with my family, and celebrations of my cultural heritage foster love and happiness and remembrance, as well as something to look forward to in the future. Furthermore, I love family traditions and the fact that Temple Beth Sholom will be turned into a quasi-high school reunion today for a number of hours. I look forward to having dinner at my South African Jewish cousins' house tonight, where I'll be hearing and seeing the elders bicker and joke with each other, and then sitting down to a enjoy some of the best food known to human kind.

I wanted to write about the awesome grilled flatbread I made last week. Instead, I leave today's post open, without a recipe, to encourage you all to eat something sweet (for a sweet new year), and round (to symbolize cycles of everything). Apples and Honey will do just fine. Chag Sameach!

Comments

Popular Posts