Late Summer Breakfast Scramble


So, I'm back in New York. It's strange coming back to this house, the one I grew up in. While I was gone, my dad redid the place, what with new furniture and everything. I think it makes it more exciting to be here, instead of just plain boring. The fridge is fully stocked (YES!), and apparently our CSA from Golden Earthworm Farms is still up and running, providing end-of-summer treats like yellow summer squash and, my favorite, sun gold tomatoes. Also, my mother's garden is thriving, providing us with beefsteak and cherry tomatoes, as well as fresh herbs. It is a true comfort to be able to walk outside to our huge garden, flowers flourishing in the sun, pick some chives, and run back to the kitchen for a quick wash and prep.

This morning, post-bike ride, I mixed up a delightful yellow breakfast scramble. Super simple, yet easy on the eyes and the stomach.
Follow below:

1/2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into quarters, lengthwise, then sliced
2 eggs, scrambled with a splash of organic milk
2 T chopped fresh chives
few slices raw milk cheddar
5 sun gold tomatoes, quartered

1. In a greased nonstick pan, quickly sautee squash until just not-raw, then remove slices to bowl.
2. Add beaten eggs to the pan. Quickly add cheddar, chives and, finally, lightly cooked squash.
3. When eggs are beginning to set, scramble ingredients in pan until eggs are fully cooked.
4. Plate eggs, top with quartered tomatoes.

Comments

Popular Posts