Small Batch Green Tea Ice Cream Experiment

So the week of Mr. Ripe's birthday, I tried to make mixed berry gelato. It was a bit too eggy for my liking (which I didn't think possible), and I was so impatient that I didn't wait for my custard to cool before putting it in the ice cream maker. Today, a day off from work, I decided I would try again. Do the right thing, you know what I mean?

I awoke mid-morning and began with my secret experimental ingredient: Agar-agar. I soaked 1/3 of a kanten bar in water and then I trekked to the corner store, bought a quart of Ronnybrook Creamline milk, and got started. At home, I poured 3 cups of milk into a medium saucepan and dropped in 2 green tea bags. I put the heat on low, whisking occasionally. While the milk heated, I got the rest ready. In a medium bowl, I separated an egg (which, I must say, was not an ordinary egg, but one of 12 farm-fresh eggs my friend Rebecca brought me from the Berkshires--sweet!). I dumped the white down the drain. I measured out 1/2 cup of sugar. When the milk was hot, I discarded the tea bags. I took my agar-agar and drained the water from it. I mixed the agar-agar into the egg yolk as well as 1/4 cup of the sugar. I tempered the egg mixture with about 1/4 cup of the hot milk, and whisked. I added the tempered egg mixture into the pot of milk, as well as the leftover sugar. I turned the heat to medium and whisk-whisk-whisked until the mixture came to a boil.

And then I poured it into a bowl and set it in the fridge for 5 hours to chill.
Later, I poured it into the ice cream maker.
It was blissful.
Fuck yeah.

Comments

Popular Posts