Dinner tonight is accidentally spot-on!

Last week Saturday I bought the most beautiful cauliflower on Saturday. On Sunday, I stumbled by the Cortelyou farmers market, which is way small but adorably so. It feels like a real community down there.
Anyway, I'd been waiting for sunchokes, and I found them down there (YES!!!) at Muddy River Farms. They sat in my fridge all week because I didn't want to waste them, use them for the wrong dish, have them go under- (or- even worse, un-) appreciated.
Tonight on my way home, I was near Sahadi's, so I stopped in. I figured, I could cheat on dinner a bit. Once in a while buying store-bought ready-made foods are ok. So I bought a Kofta Kebab (ground lamb with sweet tasting spices) for $1.75 and hopped on the train.
Once home, I made a single serving of whole wheat cous cous, and also prepared my lovely cauliflower and sunchokes. Maybe not as surprising as I originally thought, the flavors matched and complemented each other perfectly! Quick-roasted curried cauliflower and sunchokes tasted wonderful alongside kofta kebab atop cous cous. Who knew (not me...but now I do!). The only thing that may have made this meal better would have been dried apricots somewhere in there. Something fruity. A challenge for next time.
Today's eating cheap and alone was a success. Maybe even a double success because it was a bowl-meal. And who doesn't love a meal you can eat in one bowl?

Curried Cauliflower and Sunchokes

About half a head of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
1 whole onion, chopped
4-5 sunchokes, peeled and sliced into 1/4" pieces
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 t curry powder
1/2 t diced jalapeno or other hot pepper (optional)
pinch salt

Mix ingredients in a baking dish (I used an 8x8 square pan). Cover and put in oven at 425 for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to roast about 5-10 min. Serve. (it's really that easy)

Comments

Popular Posts