Finally fall

Even though fall officially started weeks ago, the New York weather has vacillated from almost-cool to summer-hot. Finally, yesterday and today, the weather has been cooling down. It's chilly out! "Jacket weather". I love it.
Don't get me wrong- I love spring and summer warmth. But I look forward to having to layer up: long sleeved shirts, vests, sweaters, turtlenecks (yes, indeed), long socks, smartwool, tough boots. I look forward to needing these layers of clothing and now, the truly cold weather is approaching and it is exhilarating!

I'm not sure if it's living alone, the cool, biting air, or the fact that I have been navigating Brooklyn by bike, riding nearly every day just to feel the air rushing by my face, making my eyes water, but I have been really happy these days. I feel lighter, calmer, just plain good, just being. I see I've written myself into a tangent, but I guess it was worth sharing on the blogosphere. When I came home today, after a long ride all over south Brooklyn, as soon as I stopped sweating, I was cold! I took out a soup pot and started at it. I had potatoes, leeks, onions, jerusalem artichokes, and skinny celery, all from the farmers market. Easily enough, I turned my fresh fall ingredients into an off-white soup, rustically pureed into something just right for warming up at home, alone. My ingredient list is below, but you may add whatever you want. I ended up with having a sort of white color theme, but any fall vegetable, especially root crops, will taste good in here. It's soup, come on, how can you mess up? Give it a try! Having had only 1 bowl, I'm ready for bed. It's been an exausting weekend. Fortunately I have this entire pot of soup to keep me going through the week.

Fall Soup
1 1/2 T butter
1-2 leeks, 2 c chopped
1/2 c chopped onion
1 c chopped fresh celery, leaves removed
5-6 white-fleshed potatoes, skins on, chopped
3 jerusalem artichokes, peeled and chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
3 sprigs dill, chopped
1 bay leaf
pinch whole peppercorns
salt

Over medium heat, melt 1 T butter. Add leeks and onion, and let cook, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes, careful not to let brown. Add the rest of the ingredients. Fill pot with water until 1 inch from the top. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and let cook 1-2 hours. Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender if desired. You can make it as chunky or smooth as you'd like. Return to low heat and add remaining 1/2 T butter. Serve sprinkled with fresh dill.

Comments

Popular Posts