Really Delicious Hearty Breakfast

I love mushy food. I'm sure you've read that here before. So perfect breakfast on a day that I don't need to be anywhere at any time? Polenta, steamed kale and, of course, a poached egg. I don't know what those foods make you think. I know what I think:
mmm mushy, creamy polenta...
kale? The ultimate green leafy.
...and everyone knows poached eggs make EVERYTHING better!

Double the recipe for two people; I cooked for me and me alone!

1/2 c polenta, or any grind corn meal
1 c water
pinch salt
4 dino kale leaves, roughly chopped
medium saucepan full of boiling water
pinch salt
1 T vinegar (any kind, though probably not like balsamic)
1 egg
shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

In a small saucepan, bring 1 c water and pinch salt to boil. Slowly add polenta, whisking until incorporated. Lower heat to low. Stir every minute or so with wooden spoon. Cook until mixture pulls away from sides when stirred. Remove from heat, pour into serving bowl.
Blanche the kale in the medium pot of boiling water (quick dump in and slotted spoon out; no need for ice water); place kale on top of polenta in bowl. Bring water back to boil, add vinegar. Poach egg by cracking egg into small cup, bringing cup to water's surface, and quickly dumping egg into water.
Maintain slow boil, cooking for about 2-4 minutes, checking by pulling egg out of water with slotted spoon and gently tapping yolk with your finger to check done-ness. When done, remove egg from water and place on top of kale. Sprinkle with cheddar if using. Dig in!

Comments

Popular Posts