I <3 Cookies

I made these cookies for the same reason I make many things: I was hungry. I tinkered with the ingredients a bit, and one recommendation I'd make would be to reverse the amounts of chocolate to cranberry. The cranberries add a wonderful tartness to a sweet, crispy cookie. I'm not sure if the chocolate is even "necessary", but I love chocolate, so it's not a question of necessity for me.
With trial-and-error baking, there's often error (those are the recipes I do not post). However, this attempt was worth the trial. It resulted in deliciously crisp, but slightly chewy cookies. The oats and the oat flour contribute to a lightness, crunch, and sweetness not evidenced by using solely regular wheat flour. Also, it would be possible to use less butter, too. Maybe 3/4 stick, instead.

1 stick softened butter
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 egg

1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 c oat flour
1/2 c oats
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

1/2 t vanilla

1/2 c dried cranberries
3/4 c bittersweet chocolate chips

In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (flours, oats, baking soda, and salt). In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until color lightens from original.
Add one egg. Continue to beat.
Add dry ingredients at once. Mix on a low speed until mixed perfectly.
Add vanilla. Mix.
Add cranberries and chocolate chips. Mix.
Scoop with little spoons or soup spoons onto pans lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 12-14 min on 350 in a convection oven (maybe 375 in non-convection).


Brilliant.

Comments

Popular Posts