TERRIFIC


I meant to upload this the other night, but clean forgot. Well not clean, but forgot, for sure.
I originally intended for this first recipe to be butternut squash and red pepper quesadillas, but you know me, I can't follow recipes. I have to veer. I can almost never follow a recipe exactly-- I should say, it's not that I actually can not, but more truthfully will myself away from the recipe. Maybe it's distraction, maybe unwillingness to do what's been done. Whatever it is, though, it keeps me from recreating already-known-to-be-good recipes, leaving me with trial and error, which is a-okay by me, in all honesty.

The recipe is quite easy and does not require any skill. Tools yes, appliances yes, but skills, talent, NO. This one is for everybody. It is vegetarian (not vegan, lo siento from the bottom of my heart), nutritious, and makes use of old squash from the back of the pantry. AWESOME! Resourceful, I might add, too.

Okay, so here goes it: Butternut Squash/Yam/Red Pepper Layered Bake

1 small-medium butternut squash, peeled with a potato peeler, cut in half, seeds discarded, and flesh chopped into 1/2" cubes.
1 large-ish yam, peeled and chopped into 1/2 " cubes
1 onion, peeled and chopped into quarters
2 cloves unpeeled garlic
extra virgin olive oil
6 tortillas
1 red pepper, diced small
1 c jack cheese, shredded

In a shallow pan (I used a 9x13), roast squash, yam, onion, and garlic with a drizzle of oil (no more than 1 T) for 30 min, or until veggies are tender. When done, squeeze garlic out of skin and, in batches if necessary, puree roasted ingredients in blender or food processor.
Lay 2 tortillas in a casserole dish or another shallow pan.
With a spatula, spread 1/2 veggie puree on top. Sprinkle on 1/2 red pepper pieces, and 1/3 c cheese.
Layer on 2 more tortillas, and repeat, then layer final 2 tortillas, and top with cheese, only.

Bake on 375 for 25 minutes covered, 10 uncovered. Let rest 5 min once out of the oven. Then serve.

I should mention that my dad commented that this was "one of those things that tastes better than it looks," and that I had commented that I'd made too much, and then finished it all in three days (it made a good take-along lunch)!

Comments

Popular Posts