One more time, Go GreenMarket!

I know all summer the few times I posted I raved and raved about farmer's market produce and the exhilaration I feel when I'm at the market. But I just can't stop! Until the local farmers' bounty is no longer available for purchase by me, I will continue to feel blissful and simply happy every time I cook in my kitchen. Knowing where my food comes from is one way I practice mindfulness in my everyday life. It gives me a satisfaction, a basic good feeling that stays with me.

Tonight I made stuffed baby eggplant with feta. Here is the ingredient list:

3 baby eggplants (about 5-7" long, 1-2" in diameter)
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 small onion, chopped
5 plum tomatoes, cored and diced
1 yellow sweet pepper, sliced
1/4 c oat groats (I bought mine from Cayuga Organics, but they're also available from Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 c water or broth
2 t salt
1 t dried oregano
1 oz goat feta cheese (optional)

Start by preheating the oven to 375. Next put the oat groats and water or broth in a small sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and then cover. Cook until water is absorbed, even if they may seem a bit chewy to you- they'll cook more with the veggies and in the oven. While the oat groats cook, heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. While these saute, cut each eggplant lengthwise and then scoop out its flesh with a spoon. Set the eggplant bodies aside. Dice the scooped out flesh and add it to the cooking onions and garlic. Cook for 10 min, then add tomatoes. When tomatoes begin to break down and veggies get watery, dump the oat groats into the skillet with salt and oregano. Saute and then cover skillet to allow oats to cook more, for about 10 minutes.
Place eggplant skins in a baking dish and fill with veggie/oat mixture. Cover with foil, and cook for 30 minutes.
Serve with crumbled feta on top. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts