Dear Broccoli, when did you become so enchanting?

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest is not only the title of a brilliant book (or a recipe in the book). For me, it is the equivalent of your favorite childhood story book. A flip through its tattered pages, a glance at the hand-drawn illustrations and text, without even reading the recipes yet, makes me feel good. Late last night, I was getting ready for bed, and I saw this cookbook on the floor. It was already past midnight, but I just had to have a peek.

It had been a while, maybe a year? since I had browsed its pages, but honestly, it brought me a feeling of warmth.

Today I brought a bad lunch to work with me. I held out till this evening, and made Confetti Spaghetti from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Yes, I was feeling sort of starving, but I think even if I wasn't famished, this pasta dish would have been amazing. Like a healthier macaroni and cheese, this veggie-packed pasta is comforting and satisfying in color and taste. Amazing. Will make again.

3 T butter
2 T olive oil
2 minced onions
4 cloves garlic minced
2 broccoli stalks, diced
1 head cauliflower (I used the yellow kind), chopped
1 red pepper, diced
2 c frozen peas
dash soy sauce
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
2 c shredded cheddar cheese

In a big saute pan, melt butter and oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, and onions are translucent. Add broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 min. Add pepper. Cook until soft. Add peas and cook only heated through. Remove from heat, stir in soy. Cover. Cook spaghetti, drain, and return to pot. Add veggies to pasta, and then stir in the cheddar. SO GOOD.

Comments

Popular Posts