A hankering for

Biscuits!
What's a yankee like me doing craving biscuits, anyway? Dunno. All I know is I went for a beer at 7, came home and ate a salad, and then didn't quite want dessert but wanted more! I would have settled for a slice of good, crusty bread, but I didn't have any. So I went for a short order of whole wheat biscuits with raspberry jam. Crumbly but warm and tender inside. Flaky. Wow. Perfect, I might say! They're even crispy on the outside when I bite! And tender inside! Yes, I'm excited. Thank you, Homesick Texan, for being so inspiring when it comes to whipping up a batch of biscuits.

For a small order, of about 6-8 biscuits, follow below. For more, double recipe.

1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
pinch sugar
pinch salt
3 T non-hydrogenated shortening or butter
1/3 c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450. In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a fork or your fingertips. Mix until mixture is cornmealy or crumbly. Do not over mix! Add buttermilk and stir to form a dough. Pat into a disk about 1/2" thick and cut into circles. Bake 10-15 min, until lightly browned on top. Eat warm, right out of the oven. Now.

Comments

Popular Posts