Crepes


I made these for my brother the other morning. When he asked what I was making, I told him pancakes. Because that is what River Cottage Every Day* author Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsall called them! I knew they were what we would call crepes, but if River Cottage Every Day says they are pancakes, then they are pancakes. While I seldom follow recipes, this morning I thought, why not. (Though I halved it, since it was only two of us.) The result, while boring and a lie, according to my brother, who refused their name, and instead insisted that if we were having something that looked like crepes they must be filled with Nutella, was a clean, simple breakfast. A staple to be added to the repertoire.

Here's what I made, adapted from River Cottage Every Day
1 c whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
pinch salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c 2% milk
butter


Mix sifted flour and salt. Make a well in the center, and add egg and milk. Whisk until smooth. Set aside for at least 30 min. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsall says to do this to make the pancakes less "wet" once cooked. When ready to get crackin again, melt butter in a large skillet. Pour 1 ladle full of batter (about 1/3 c) into the hot pan, and tip pan so batter spreads around into a circle. When the whole thing has changed color, about 3 min, flip pancake. (This can be done without a spatula, just go for it!) Cook on this side for another 2 min or so. Set aside and repeat with remaining batter. Makes 8 8" crepe-like pancakes. Serve with sprinkled sugar and lemon juice, or with Nutella.

*I just want to add, that if I ever write a cookbook, I would only hope it could be just as charming as River Cottage Every Day. The illustrations, pictures, and overall writing style is just brilliant, but mostly I admire the style's accessibility, which is something I go for here, on Ripe.

Comments

Popular Posts