Greens Risotto

It's incredible I haven't posted in over two weeks. What have I been doing? Well, I've definitely not been not cooking or baking. In fact, I've been cooking and baking a ton! I just didn't feel like writing (maybe it was a break from writing all together, after finals and school came to a slow halt). And now, when I want to write, though I've imagined telling you all about the beet-dough ravioli, arborio rice pudding, or chocolate ice cream I made in the past few weeks, I'm forgoing those really artisan recipes (which are uncharacteristic of my style, to be honest) to bring you a messy recipe (of course, more my speed) - Greens Risotto.
This was kind of like dump-out-your-fridge risotto, except it turned out that I had really amazing things in my fridge, like peas in their pods, fava beans, dino kale, carrots, and broccoli. There weren't any odds and ends I wouldn't have wanted in here. And I had leftover arborio rice from the creamy rice pudding I'd made a couple of weeks ago. And I also had leftover chicken stock from the chicken I'd roasted a while ago, too. (You see? I have been cooking up a storm here!)

So all those odds and ends, plus my ever present supply of Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses in the fridge compelled me to tinker with the idea of Risotto, without a recipe. I do have a recipe for you, however:

Greens Risotto (Risotto from mostly green things)
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 head broccoli, stalks trimmed and cut into small dice, florets separated
2 carrots, diced
1 c arborio rice
1/2 c fresh shelled peas
1/3 c shelled favas
1/2 bunch kale, chopped
4 c chicken or vegetable stock
1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese, loosely packed
1/3 c parmesan cheese, grated
1 T soy sauce
1 t mustard powder

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add broccoli and carrots, stir. Add rice and stir occasionally, just to toast a bit. Add 1 c stock and bring to a simmer. When the stock begins to be absorbed, add another cup of stock. When this liquid begins to be absorbed, add the third cup of stock. Stir, reduce heat, add the rest of the vegetables. Again, when the liquid is almost all absorbed, add the last cup of stock. Simmer until absorbed. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, soy, and mustard powder. Serve.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts